What's it all about?

40 nights for the orphans of India. My 'Lent in a Tent' is about raising hugely needed funds for 'Shining Faces in India' orphanage in Salem, Tamil Nadhu, by sleeping ouside the Chaplaincy at King's Bruton for 40 nights. My target is at least £10,000 - which amazingly is only enough to feed the hundreds of children there for about two months.

I hope that many might be inspired to trade 40 pounds for my 40 nights. Actually, in the back of my mind I'm convinced that we could smash through the target and go much much further ... I wonder.

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Spared death ... evening 14/40

At five years old his mother died. At six, his father died. When he was seven, his eldest sister died and a year later his youngest brother died. At eight years old this boy was left with no one apart from his grandparents. His grandfather was a bad man. He took him to a witch doctor who told him that he was a curse on the family and must be killed in order to prevent any other deaths in the family. 

But he was sent away to an orphanage instead of being killed.  He was badly beaten and tried to run away back home only to be turned back time and time again. But he was spared death.

After my night 3/30 I promised to tell you some more about Jayaraj, founder and leader of the orphanage.  OK, the one spared death is him ...


I struggle to think of a man more worthy of our admiration. I sat with a rich Indian around a lunch table two years ago, a man who knew his success came much from his given place in life, his caste, his family. He leaned over to me to be able to speak softly against the noise of the others; 'If I'd done what Jayaraj has done as a wealthy man, a high caste, that would be a great thing. To do it as an orphan is quite amazing.'

For Jayaraj no vision is too grand, no target beyond reach and no problem without solution. If it was any different then the orphanage simply wouldn't be there.  As this post is being born 700 children call him 'Daddy' even today, and many more are yet to be welcomed in.

When I consider the hardships and fears of my life and compare them to his? Well I just end up vowing to complain and worry less.

When I consider the achievements of my life and compare them to his?  Well mine take their proper lowly place and I realise just how much more I could do to bring change where it really matters.

When I consider the priorities of my life compared to his? Well I'm forced to a radical re-evaluation of what really counts driven by his example of life so in tune with the Lord he serves.

I know that my friend, Indian brother and great example is following this blog at the orphanage. To you, Jayaraj, we join the hundreds of children you serve and simply say, 'Thank you'.

Here, funds have bloomed today thanks to so much kindness and generosity.  Thank you so much to all who have given so freely. We now stand at £4467.50 versus our target ten thousand.

To support and serve with Jayaraj, please...

No comments:

Post a Comment