What's it all about?

40 nights for the orphans of India. My 'Lent in a Tent' is about raising hugely needed funds for 'Shining Faces in India' orphanage in Salem, Tamil Nadhu, by sleeping ouside the Chaplaincy at King's Bruton for 40 nights. My target is at least £10,000 - which amazingly is only enough to feed the hundreds of children there for about two months.

I hope that many might be inspired to trade 40 pounds for my 40 nights. Actually, in the back of my mind I'm convinced that we could smash through the target and go much much further ... I wonder.

Friday 15 February 2013

Les Miserables ... night 9/40

'You're just wierd!'

That was my daughter, Beth's, gentle and thoughtful comment after I'd sobbed my way through most of 'Les Miserables' this evening. Translated into English, 'Les Miserables' can become 'The miserable ones', 'The wretched', 'The poor ones' or 'The victims'. I'm sure you can see that the journey isn't hard from there to the past lives of so many at the orphanage.

Their lives now, thanks to Jayaraj, are full of friendship and security, but their pasts are a different story. Doesn't that dream that was dreamed by Fantine, with all the bitter loss of life's hopes, speak at least something of the lost hopes of the boys and girls we're working to support?

Maybe it's right to introduce Girija to you now ...
It's a special moment because Girija is the girl I've already mentioned who we sponsor as a family. I met her on my first visit to the orphanage many years ago ... a little girl who sang a beautiful song to my camera, 'Kata narmum en pugalidame, karturdu turritedu ven.' That's a phonetic version of Tamil, and one that our Indian followers will be holding their sides at reading! It speaks of the Lord being her stronghold and refuge, and oh how she needed that.

One of life's true 'Les Miserables', Girija witnessed her older sister murdered and faced the violence of her father. Now she's grown up, educated, sharp as a button and bossy to boot! I couldn't be more grateful for what the orphanage has done. It's now Girija's home, her family, her education and her hope for the future.

She takes some serious exams this year, and if she does well enough, she'll be able to gain a place at the Nursing Training College, also on-site at the orphanage, and the possible door to financial security beyond.

It's like this that Jayaraj has been able to turn the lives of so many of India's 'Miserables' into new futures with real hope.

Please do consider supporting, and sincere thanks to those who already have ...

1 comment:

  1. We saw Les Miserables as a family over half term and it was wonderful, but SO sad. I hope the nights aren't too cold for you. Its so inspiring what you are doing and as I switch on my electric blanket I will spare a thought for you... RW

    ReplyDelete