What's it all about?

40 nights for the orphans of India. My 'Lent in a Tent' is about raising hugely needed funds for 'Shining Faces in India' orphanage in Salem, Tamil Nadhu, by sleeping ouside the Chaplaincy at King's Bruton for 40 nights. My target is at least £10,000 - which amazingly is only enough to feed the hundreds of children there for about two months.

I hope that many might be inspired to trade 40 pounds for my 40 nights. Actually, in the back of my mind I'm convinced that we could smash through the target and go much much further ... I wonder.

Thursday 7 February 2013

Educating Orphans ... night 2/40

Well it's night 2 and I'm thinking about education as I look out of the Chaplaincy and strain to see my tent in the early darkness. The Government have announced a U-turn on their plans for GCSE and fingers are pointing on all sides. Over in India there's little about the children's education that looks much like here.

At the orphanage our teams do their best to help teach English to huge numbers in tiny rooms! Learning is by rote with pupils 'knowing' without much link to 'understanding'. But some are just the finest examples.  Here's Pryangaa:


She doesn't remember her mother dying, but she does her father. She also remembers him saying he'd love her to be a politician. So she's going for it.

She works so hard and has such amazing clarity of ambition and hope. I'd love to see more of her attributes alive in our young here at home. She has such a sense of the privilege of her education - so nearly didn't have one.

So we pray for Pryangaa, and all the children at the orphanage, that their education would be full and varied, preparing them for life far beyond the massive new family and home that 'Shining Faces' has become for them.

Think I'll take a couple more layers with me tonight ... and new batteries for the head-torch after seriously loosing the 'who's got a brighter beam' competition with Stefan last night. Such a show-off ...

Thanks so much for reading and following. As always, here's a link in case anyone wants to seize the moment and give: 

No comments:

Post a Comment