What's it all about?

40 nights for the orphans of India. My 'Lent in a Tent' is about raising hugely needed funds for 'Shining Faces in India' orphanage in Salem, Tamil Nadhu, by sleeping ouside the Chaplaincy at King's Bruton for 40 nights. My target is at least £10,000 - which amazingly is only enough to feed the hundreds of children there for about two months.

I hope that many might be inspired to trade 40 pounds for my 40 nights. Actually, in the back of my mind I'm convinced that we could smash through the target and go much much further ... I wonder.

Sunday 17 March 2013

The Last Post ... night 40/40

It's probably one of the best known melodies. In its proper setting it signaled the end of the day when the duty officer returned from inspecting the sentry posts around camp. The First Post signaled the beginning. When it was over and the last sentry post had been inspected ... then sounded the Last Post. In a way it heralded the close of the day's duties.

I feel a similar closure tonight ... the 40th sentry-night of 40 ... each one marking a watch over the children at the orphanage for their sake and their future. The wonderful thing is how many have decided to stand alongside, and I know that the children salute you ...


Together we can gift them over £13,200 ... an amazing amount that will make a tangible and meaningful difference to their daily lives. The 'collective anonymity' I wrote about on night 23/40 means they'll always speak of us as a unity ... a body who together made a difference. And that's how it should be ... every gift as important as each before and each to follow.

For me, I can only offer you my deepest thanks. Your support has meant so much and warmed me through very cold nights. When I wake up tomorrow the Last Post will be done ... in this blog and in the tent.

But as in camp, it's only ever the signal of a temporary end. This 40 night 'day' is over, but duties and responsibilities go on with the dawn of a new morning. Our relationship with the orphanage continues ... the next team heads out in July; many more will go in the years to come.

With such massive need before us there's no way we can ever do everything ... but we've shown that we can do something.

So we continue to stand watch over them ... to protect, care and bear our duty to make the lives of at least some of the world's unfortunates a little more fortunate than they might have been.

May the Lord bless them in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
Ephesians 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment