What's it all about?

40 nights for the orphans of India. My 'Lent in a Tent' is about raising hugely needed funds for 'Shining Faces in India' orphanage in Salem, Tamil Nadhu, by sleeping ouside the Chaplaincy at King's Bruton for 40 nights. My target is at least £10,000 - which amazingly is only enough to feed the hundreds of children there for about two months.

I hope that many might be inspired to trade 40 pounds for my 40 nights. Actually, in the back of my mind I'm convinced that we could smash through the target and go much much further ... I wonder.

Thursday 14 March 2013

In and out the same ... night 37/40

'You're letting the heat out!' the pupils cry.  One look at the open flap of my tent and they just can't help themselves ...

I need it open to dry off the condensation from another freezing night. Minus 7 last night, and a frozen water bottle by my bed. Here's the tent surface in the morning ... a fascinating sudden-freeze of water droplets, not the normal frost ...


I love the way the sun slowly banishes the ice as it marches across the morning sky ... markers for spent nights to the left ... still-to-be-done nights to the right ...


The point I try to expalin to the pupils, though, is that there's just no heat to let out! Left untouched a tent will live at equilibrium with the outside. In and out the same.

That idea ... in and out the same ... is something Jayaraj takes seriously in India too. He's not content to give all he can to those who have the gift of being on the inside. He tries to make in and out the same ... taking as much of the love and provision inside the orphanage to those on the outside too.

Every time I'm there I have the undiluted privilege of accompanying Jayaraj on Sundays to the churches he supports with salaries for the Pastors, and with food and gifts for the congregations. I'm ever prepared for the invitation to sing a song or say a word ... or as last time to take bread and wine down the lines of life-weary men and women on their knees.

I can't express to you my sense of unworthiness as grateful hands opened before them to receive ... to eat ... to drink ...

Afterwards we gathered above in another church-sized room where hot food was served and happy faces were fed. These two ... mother and daughter ... had tried to catch my eye and make me laugh the entire service below as I told of my own walk from outside to inside the Lord's family ...
 

In and out the same ... that's Jayaraj's longing. But he know's his power to effect change is supremely on the inside. Nevertheless, he'll go on taking his endlessly-energised love to all he can reach on the outside too ... an everyday effort to make in and out the same.

If you're yet to do so, please do join in and ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment